FAQ regarding ACE
- How do I book for the ACE exam?
We will send you an email at the end of the final course on how to book your ACE exam, you have the option to take the exam at home or at an exam location.
- When/how soon can I book for the ACE exam?
You will need to book 10 days in advance of the date you are wishing to take the exam.
- What’s the difference between on-site and online?
Online you will take this at home under exam conditions, your computer or laptop must have a webcam. Onsite means you will come and take your exam at an exam location in person.
- Once certified do I need insurance.
Yes, you do, we recommend Metrix insurance, they offer great coverage and insurance for Infofit Graduates, you can apply directly through this page on our website.
- How long is my certification valid for?
- How many questions are on the exam?
150 multiple choice questions.
- How long is the exam?
The exam is 3 hours, unless you need special test accommodations which means 4.5 hours, Special test accommodations are granted if English is your second language, you have a documented learning disability or a physical disability.
- Do I find out immediately after the exam if I have passed?
Yes, once you have answered all the questions, your final score will be displayed a few seconds after.
- What is the passing grade ?
To pass you will need 500 points or above, the maximum score is 800 points. Each question is worth different points.
- Where can I work once, I have my ACE?
You will be able to work for yourself, in big box gyms or private studios
This page contains relevant information on the steps to become an ACE Certified Personal Trainer, and how to maintain your certfication.
ACE (American Council on Exercise) , once certified this will allow you to work as a Personal Trainer in BC, Canada, USA and some other countries around the world. You may not be able to work in a community centre or recreation centre with ACE.
ACE can be used to work as a Personal Trainer in the following places:
- Big Box Gyms (Snap Fitness, Club 16, Golds Gym, Fitness World)
- Private Personal Training Studios
- To work for yourself
The cost to obtain the ACE Certification:
(1) CPR/AED Certification
(2) ACE exam $399 USD (Price for non infofit students is $499 USD)
- Complete Infofit’s Fitness Theory Course
- Receive letter of course completion
- Complete Infofit’s Personal Training Basics (Weight Training Course)
- Receive letter of course completion
- Take Basic CPR and First Aid Course (8 hours)
- Complete Infofit’s Personal Trainer Course
- Receive letter of completion
- Complete and pass the ACE Trainer Certification exam
Maintaining your certification:
- Maintain your CPR/AED certification
- Complete 2.0 CEC’s (20 Hours) every two years, this can be in the form of webinars, podcasts, online courses or in-person workshops. You can see a list of all of the Infofit approved workshops here.
- You will need to submit your CEC’s into your ACE account.
- Renewal cost $129 USD
If you plan on moving outside of Canada or the USA, you can use this website to determine what might be required if you move to another country.
ACE Trainer Certification – Specifics
- You must be at least 18 years of age to be eligible to write the ACE Personal Trainer Certification Exam
- You must hold an adult CPR certification before scheduling your exam
- Computer Based Format , $399 USD for the First Time (Infofit students receive a discounted rate . Retakes are $249 USD
- If you are unable to sit for the original date requested, you may reschedule your exam. A $149 rescheduling fee will be assessed for computer-based exams.
- Passing grade for the exam is about 68%
- Exam is 150 multiple choice questions
- Content covers anatomy, physiology and nutrition; screening, assessing and communicating with clients; exercise science, programming, instruction and spotting techniques; lifestyle modification and professional scope of practice