Muscle Imbalance, Muscle Testing and Correction
Presented By: Dr. Katie Gaskin, DC, @theathletedoctor
FITNESS PROFESSIONALS RECEIVE 1.0 BCRPA or ACSM EDUCATIONAL CREDIT
Muscle Testing and Correction
Muscle imbalance is the combination of a ‘tight,’ over-active muscle and one that is less active. Testing muscles is a crucial and effective way to determine muscle imbalances. During a muscle test, a practitioner applies a force to one muscle or group of muscles, with a particular intent in mind. The muscle is then labelled “weak” or “strong” based on its ability to resist this force. Because it is a common cause of injury, pain, and disability, the use of muscle testing is an important tool.
During this webinar Dr Gaskin will discuss:
- Common muscle imbalances in clients and how to detect these
- Different ways to accomplish muscle testing and what the results mean
- Understanding how muscle imbalances impact the myofascial chains they’re connected to, and how this can lead to injury
- Signs that a muscle imbalance is “more” than a muscle imbalance, and when to refer to a healthcare professional
- Rehab exercises that help to correct imbalances
About Dr Katie Gaskin, DC
Dr. Katie Gaskin is a Chiropractor, strength and conditioning coach, and former professional hockey player. Having reached the pinnacle of her sport, she understands that physical preparation, maintenance, and recovery are paramount for top athletic performance. Due to her personal injury experience as an athlete, Dr. Katie has a special interest in the assessment and treatment of peripheral nerve dysfunction and concussion rehabilitation.